When you’re in the business of helping people buy and sell homes, you become familiar with moving, and how useful a guide can be for you. Lots of moving: hectic moving, well-planned moving, unexpected moving, and sometimes I-can’t-believe-it-was-that-easy moving. If a move is in your future, the best gift you can give yourself is time. Barring that, read our list to learn how to make the moving process easier for people, pets, and everything in-between.
- Research moving companies: not all moving companies are created equal. Doing thorough research will allow you to avoid using a company who packs your glassware and rock collection into the same box.
- Start collecting boxes early: at some point, everyone has desperately raided the grocery store and packed their belongings into slightly soggy produce boxes. Let’s try and avoid this. The LCBO usually has decent moving boxes, and so do furniture stores if you ask politely. If you’re willing to spend money to get proper moving boxes, visit your local U-Haul or UPS store.
- Declutter: now’s the time to get rid of unnecessary possessions. Though you may have fond memories of your old college Led Zeppelin posters, do they really need to come to your new place?
- Keep a box of essentials: you’re going to need some items right away at your new home. At the end of a long day, there’s no worse feeling than realizing that all of your bedding is packed away somewhere in a sea of cardboard boxes.
- Contact Kingston Utilities: don’t forget to close your current account and open a new one. New accounts can take up to five business days to process, so timing is important. Think ahead so that you can avoid paying utilities in your old home while you’re without water and electricity in your new one. To open or close a residential account you can call customer service at 613-546-0000 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Alternatively, click here to go through the process online.
- Change your address for bills, magazines, etc.: though you may not miss the knitting magazine subscription you got for Christmas, make sure you change your address for bills that contain personal information.
- Pacify Your Pets: moving is always stressful for pets. Make their life a bit easier by giving your cat or dog a calming supplement on moving day. The brand Licks makes both a Cat Zen and Dog Zen calming aid which you can buy online or in pet stores. Also make sure to block off your pet’s favourite hiding place. Nothing is worse than having to drag your cat out of the crawlspace 5 minutes before you’re scheduled to leave.If you’re still stressed, don’t be afraid to contact us! We have the resources and experience to make your next move the easiest one yet.